Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Would have been nice to see this guy...

... perform at a World Cup...



A band I played in many decades ago had a trumpet player who had toured with Maynard. That guy could blow the shingles off the roof. In the interest of full disclosure, I had no business being in that band. Except maybe to shine shoes. Why they let me play I'll never know.

I remember one time we played "La Fiesta" by Chick Corea. Every one in the band was in their 30's or older, except for the bass player, who was a runny-nosed 14-year old kid, and except for me, a junior in high school. Anyway, if you have ever heard "La Fiesta" you know that it has one of the most demanding bass parts you will ever hear in a piece of jazz-fusion; or any other kind of music, for that matter. It is enormously difficult even for highly trained and experienced professional bass players. The runny-nosed 14 year old kid *effortlessly* and *flawlessly* sight-read the piece. The kid had no idea what he was doing, but he was doing it perfectly and virtousically. I was lost from the get-go and did not play a single note on my alto saxophone. I quit the band not too long afterward. I guess no one needed their shoes shined.

... Or maybe this guy...



though of course I'd take Doc or Snooky, too... But wow Buddy Rich was in a league by himself. I have heard many, many, many drummers from many different musical genres. Every one of them is or was a mere mortal compared to Buddy Rich. No one ever came close or will ever come close to that level of skill.

Hey I know this is a soccer blog. Just remember my jumping off point was the Three Tenors, who had concerts after the culmination of three World Cups -- 1990, 1994, and 1998. I have videos of all three concerts. All three are simply dazzling.

No comments: